Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Update.....

Dear Friends and Family,

It seems that every week or two I tell you that my blood work is great and that I am doing well. And, again, this week, I have that same kind of information. Last week I was in the doctor's offices and labs. I got the results of my lab work in the doctor's office on Friday morning and It was perfect. My Para-protein (where the cancer is tracked) was down to a 0.18 from the 0.2. Not a huge drop, but any drop is a drop. The A1C (90 day blood sugar evaluation) was down to a 5.6!! Back a few years ago I remember my blood sugar was up to 12.0 once... then down to a 10.5 My doctor has been astounded I have fixed the blood sugar over the last few years. It is almost un-heard of to move the A1C down so much in a such a short time.

My biggest problems at this point is not the diabetes or the cancer. The biggest issue I deal with is adjustment to the residual issues of the back surgery. My legs continue to get weaker and weaker. I don't have any stamina and it is commonly considered by my doctors that all of the fatigue and weakness is secondary to the chemo-therapy. I have asked the doctor to take me off of the chemo-therapy right now. At least for a while. My doctor told me to evaluate my situation and decide which was most important... what the chemo was doing FOR me ---AND--- what the chemo was doing TO me. So, I'll be on Chemo for a while longer.

I am reminded more and more each day how important my family is to me. Granted, there was a time when my little grand baby girls would grate on me... but now... I love being around them. Of course my daughter and my son-in-law are my favorites. They are such wonderful people. But, my wife, Debbie is my best bud. She helps me the likes of which no one would ever know. I love her and appreciate her. She's got some hip/knee/back problems right now and she's in some significant pain. And, the death of her loving mom (back in December) has affected us both very much. If I could just make one little encouragement to my readers -- don't take family for granted. Keep them close. They are the ones who will be there for you when you need someone the most.

Continue to pray for us

Grace & Peace,

Bob

2 comments:

Randal said...

It sounds like good news, albeit Slow and Steady news, of your recovery. Sometimes we want the good news to come at us fast and furious, but the Slow and Steady streams of improvements do have their place as well - and often contribute to a more long-lasting recovery. We pray for you and your family every day.

We found out yesterday that our preacher has developed a mild case of bels palsy and it reminded me of when you went through that ordeal. God helped you then and He will continue to help you now (even if it is Slow and Steady help). Hang in there. We love you all.

Much Love,
Randy... (and family)

Holly said...

The joy of the Lord is your strenght. He renews your strenght like the eagles!

I am praying for you!

Love and Prayers,
holly