Monday, November 16, 2009

Things I've Learned....(Part 6)

Things I’ve learned while living with cancer and in Recovery.


Part 6: “My life will never be the same.”

(Medical Update: I will meet with my oncologist on 11-19-09. We will talk more about the chemo, the steroids, and the remission… and how I am doing. I am having LOTS of swelling again. Look for an update a week from today… sooner, if the news is worthy.)

Tonight I went to a Celebrate Recovery leadership training program. Actually, it was more of a leadership renewal program. The education team brought us together to help us reevaluate our own recovery and to help us re-direct and re-focus our own healing as we reach out to others who are in suffering. After a few wisely chosen songs and strategically selected scripture readings, we addressed 16 questions about our recovery. Lots of soul searching those 16 questions will create for me.

Then, Randy Roper, a minister from a neighboring church came and shared with us a story of how he and his wife, with God’s amazing help, made it through the full-term still-birth of their baby daughter some 7 years ago; and then the two miscarriages that followed. Heart wrenching; touching.

Randy told about a nurse that stayed with them as they prepared for the still-birth delivery. How she catered to their needs, and how she was, in his words, “an angel of mercy.” He told us that at one point the nurse said, “You know, this will become your ‘new normal’.” When Randy said “new normal” I froze as they sunk into my mind.

I will use this concept of a “new normal” in my next few blog entries and how the events in my life (surgery, cancer, remission, recovery, etc.) have created my new normals and how they have affected my life. So, if you are following my blogs, please chew on the idea of how change (good or bad; pain or pleasure; sadness or joy) brings a “new normal” to your life. Answer this: What is the event(s) in your life that changed your life forever, and gave you a new normal?

I look forward to sharing my insights with you over the next few weeks.

Grace & Peace,
-Bob

3 comments:

Lori said...

Your comments on the "new normal" remind me of a book by Carol Kent that I came across this summer...A New Kind of Normal: Hope-Filled Choices When Life Turns Upside Down. No matter what the life-changing experience is (it doesn't have to be an illness or death), this book could be very helpful to those experiencing a "new normal."

i am Susan said...

wow that is quite the story. Sometimes it just helps to hear other peoples stories and find out how they made it through those One-Second-at-a-time moments.

Have you ever heard of Youth Juice?

www.susanoseen.youryouthjuice.com

1. It's a full-spectrum multi-vitamin with 19 different vitamins, minerals, and phyto-nutrients.

2. It contains 7 whole ORGANIC Berries

3. It has 3 sea vegetables (one being Fucoidan, which has been studied extensively for many health benefits. If you google just Fucoidan alone, there have been over 750 studies done on it.

4. It has an ORAC score of 123 000 per bottle, 13000 per serving, which is the highest anti-oxidant rating on the market to date. (It is so high because it comes from whole foods, not just juice extracted from berries)

5. It contains 200 mg of Ellagitannins in every bottle as well.

6. We are a Functional Food, not a juice!

Anonymous said...

My dear friends, thank you for visiting here! The following listed is the detail information of Air Max and If you are interested in buying Nike Air Max,warmly welcome you to contact us online around the clock, and we will supply you the top quality Air Maxwith cheap price & excellent service.
Air Max

Nike Air Max

Air Max shoes

Michael Jackson Memorial

Wildwood Free Trail 90

Nike Revaderchi

Nike Air Tailwind

Nike Free Woven 5.0 ND

Air Stabb

Nike Air Rejuven8

Air Max Plus

Air Max 360 II 2

Nike Air Zoom Talache 1

Air Max 360

Air Trainer Huarache

360 One Time Only Pack

Air Max 180+

Air 180

Air Max 95 Zen

Air Insurgent

Trainer Max 94

Air Max 180 II 2

Air Max 93

Air Max 180 TR+

Air Max Misc

Air Tailwind

Air Tuned Max

Air B Huarache

Air Max Deluxe

Air Max Solas

Air Max 90