Monday, January 5, 2009

It's a new year, and the journey continues....

Dear Friends and Family,

First, let me apologize for not posting more recently. With the Holidays and lots of busy going on, I just seemed to not get around to it. I hope to do better in 09.

What is Really Important?
I think I have mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating. In the face of difficulties the tide of what is important and what is not important can shift pretty quickly. Over the years I have spent many hours pondering automobile purchases, home remodels, clothing choices, job choices, and this list goes without end. Now, the tide has changed. There are some of the things that I worried about a great deal barely rocks the needle. But the things I didn’t give much thought to before consume my thinking. I’m much more concerned about family, health, spiritual issues, and the world my grand babies will inherit. This list too can go without end.

So, the big question for me was “why?” Well, it certainly doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure this out. I was faced with a form of cancer that took me totally by surprise. Just living became my big challenge. I had major back surgery to remove some tumors and to stabilize what the pre and post operative reports called “near paraplegia”. Taking these two giant issues into respect, I didn’t have time to worry about the small stuff. I became more devoted to the important issues in life, and the little things that dominated my thinking and sometimes worry, dissipated.

Recent Medical News:
It seems that medical news for me comes very slowly any more. I am just rolling along, doing what the medical doctors tell me, and I try to not make life miserable for anyone.

I have started trying to learn to track my blood work. The main reason for this e-mail is to report a significant decrease in the problem area (paraprotein) where my cancer comes from. A lab report back in October showed my “Gamma Paraprotein 1” as a 1.6. When I had blood drawn on 11-19-08 it had dropped to 0.6 and the lab work from 12-23-08 reports (Drum roll.......) 0.2 !!! I am told that this proves that the treatment regimen is working. And, there may not be a need for the Stem Cell if these good numbers continue. Nothing is "off the table", but we pray I won't have to go through the stem cell treatment if it isn't necessary.

As I learn more about the blood work and what it all means, I think it will help me. Part of the frustration for me is just "not knowing".

Please, continue to thank God for caring for me. Thank you for praying for me and being concerned about me.

Robert ...(a.k.a. Bob)

3 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

We continue to pray, Bob! It's a wonderful blessing that all the little details of life become very little with illness/recovery!

Randal said...

Our thoughts and Prayers are lifted for you daily. May God bless us all, and our nation, in this new year!

Love, Randy

Judy said...

Bob, You continue to be in my prayers. I've given your blog an award. I think you are encouraging others by your faith displayed during this trial. See the award on pagesofmyheart.blogspot.com