Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Update

A few weeks ago I said that medical news for me comes in rather slow now. Well, that seems to have changed. Right now, things are changing, but not totally for the best. But, we're holding out for the good that will come of all of this.

About a week (10 days) ago I started having some swelling in my left leg and foot. I was a little concerned, but not worried. I called the doctor's office and they called in a script to get some water out of my system. After a few days of the lasix there was no change. I kept my appointment with my oncologist on Monday morning (01-19-09) and he decided that to be safe we'd better do a echocardiogram on my heart and ultrasound on my leg. Well, the heart test was fine, but the ultrasound detected a blood clot in the left leg.

With this diagnosis Dr. Keefer put me on Coumadin and Lovenox to help thin out the blood and dissolve the blood clot. Of course there is some frustration associated with all of this, and now, a little worry, but I know God is in control. Also, with this diagnosis he has also decided to have me hold off on the chemo treatments for right now. I asked him if there were other things we could do, but he seemed to think that we can try some things that will allow me to keep taking my chemo. There will be adjustments, but I'll make it. I know with God's help I will. Keep praying for me, please.

Before I close my blog entry for today, let me make one other request. Please keep in mind that I am not the only person dealing with health issues such as this. Actually, I'm really blessed in that I have lived 54 years before dealing with all of this. We have friends at church with a 17 year old daughter who is now dealing with a form of cancer. And a young man, 25 years old, with a precious family was just diagnosed with leukemia. And there are others... lots of others. So please, carve out some of your prayers for others who need to be cared for as well.

Thank you.

May God bless you.
Bob

5 comments:

vivian said...

Will do, Bob.....keeping the faith as always......Jane

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Maybe this explains the way you've felt lately! Glad to get some answers...

I've actually been down the blood clot road before and taken those shots in the stomach. You can handle it!

We're still praying!

Holly said...

Hi Bob,

This is Holly Austin. We know Karyn through her friend Renee. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. God is a God of miricles! That's His business!

I have been meaning to let you know about my friend Whitney's dad, Bud Baab, for a while. He is battling something very similar to you. I am going to paste his carepage link on here. I would love it if the two of you could encourage each other. You two are such amazing men of God and I know that through this you are both going to be stronger and so are your families. The enemy has messed with the wrong people.

You will have to "create an account to view his page, but it is free and easy.

http://www.carepages.com/login?client_code=default

Let me know if you have any problems accessing his page.

Love and Prayers,
Holly

Sarah said...

Bob, this is one more specific request to take to God. He is listening. I believe He is protecting. And I KNOW He is working.

I know this blood clot road. I hate this blood clot road. For anyone.

Thank you for having the heart and being the example to remember others who are struggling now also.

You are a good man, Bob Utley and we are blessed by you!

Tim said...

Thank you for having the courage to let us all know how you are doing - and feeling. It is amazing that when you explain things about your pain, you are helping us to be stronger in following God's will!!! We love you...