Monday, November 24, 2008

Good Stuff....

Greetings To All!

Before I start the Monday BLOG about my recovery, let me invite you to log back in later this week because we’ll be posting a special edition. My daughter Karyn pointed out to me a few days ago that this year (as if more than other years) there is MUCH to be thankful for. I took her remarks to heart and I will post my “I’m Thankful For…” blog on Wednesday, 11-26-08.

Now… to the really good stuff! On Friday morning I went to the oncology doctor (Michael Keefer who, like me, is 54 and born in 54). He said my blood work looked good and he was ecstatic about my condition. I asked him about the radiation and he said it looked great and that it was forcing numbers back to where they should be. He said my immune system was only slightly compromised and he was sure that I would be fine. He told me to take all the precautions about colds, flu, and hand sanitation, etc. I finished my first round of Chemotherapy last Tuesday. The next prescription arrives via UPS on this Tuesday AM, but I will have blood work on Tuesday afternoon before I start it on Wednesday AM. As much as I can tell, I have had NO ill side affects from the chemo. The radiation, not such good luck – it makes me very tired, I have a little square “sunburn” on my chest/stomach, and I glow all night and it keeps Debbie awake. OK, that last one was just a joke. But the tired part… that is a “FOR sure”.

I am now 3 weeks without using a walker!!! I’m learning to be surer on my feet. I have to remember that in addition to not being 17 any more, I have lost a lot of feeling in my feet and legs. When I get up from a chair, if I don’t stand and get my balance, it makes for a very tricky take-off. If I balance and get my bearings, I can navigate just fine. I have to be careful to correct missteps early, and not make any jerky movements. I am fairly certain these issues will certainly keep me out of the running to be on Dancing with the Stars! …However, if being old, clumsy, and slow didn’t keep Cloris Leachman out of the line-up then maybe I still have a shot!

Make sure God is with you every step of your way this week. Depend on Him. Trust Him. Turn your heart and mind to Him! I’ll see you Wednesday.

Grace & Peace to all.

Bob

No comments: