Monday, November 17, 2008

PRAYING THROUGH THE HURT

(Note: Our Church had a prayer expo this last weekend and I was asked to write a prayer about praying through the hurt. Below is the prayer I submitted. I hope it ministers to you.)


Holy Father,

You are the maker of all good things, the Supreme Being, the God of the Universe. It is humbling that as a human being, with all my frailties, I am permitted to address you face to face. I am blessed to know you and I am blessed to be in your presence. Thank you for the gracious gifts you shower upon me.

Father, you know more about me than I than I know about myself, and it is because of this intimate knowledge that I have the freedom to come before you with my prayers and desires. You know that I have suffered many hurts in my life. Some of my hurts are the results of decisions I have made that have hurt myself or others. Some of my hurts are accidental, some are intentional. Some I’ve caused on myself and some are hurts levied on me by others. And there are other hurts that are not the result of actions by any human, but just by the nature of life. Regardless where the hurts come from they cause pain; pain I am left to reconcile and resolve within the confines of your grace and holiness. I ask your forgiveness for the pain I have caused others and I ask for strength as I seek forgiveness from those I have injured.

Father I know when I experience a hurt you come near to help me carry the burden. As my loving God and Father, you want to help lift the load. Give me the peace of mind to let you help me carry the burdens that weigh me down. There are times, however, when you want me to live with my hurts and pain for a little while. It is these times that you want me to know the pain so I can appreciate the blessing of freedom when the pain is lifted.

Sometimes, God, I let my human curiosity take command of my heart and I try to understand the “why” behind the pain. But in the Proverbs you told us that we are to trust in you and that we cannot rely on our own understanding. You have also told us that you will not give us more than we can bear, and you have told us by in placing our confidence in you that we can rise victorious over the pain. Give me the hope that comes in living in your presence.

Teach me how to find joy in my hurts. Help me learn how to give you glory when my spirit is crushed under pain. Take away the fear that paralyzes me, remind me that you are with me and that you will comfort and protect me.

It is through Jesus’ Holy Name,
A-men

1 comment:

Randal said...

AMEN!

Beautiful Prayer Bob.

I think I'll print it out and keep it tucked away in Proverbs

Our prayers continue...

God is Good ~ All the time
All the time ~ God is Good

Love,
Randy...