Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Another Note from Bob....

I think I am just going to turn the blogging over to him, he's much better at it than me. ; )



Dear Family and Friends;

Some random words have been floating in my head today. So, I will just write what is on my heart.

HOPE: My oncologist called me today to discuss some treatment options. They are getting the induction set up and he thinks we can get treatment started by next week. He also said that my stem cell transplants will have to be in Tulsa at St. Francis (apparently that is where my HMO requires them done.) So, in a few months, I’ll have to be in Tulsa for 3 or 4 weeks. Of course all of this can change “in the twinkling of an eye”, as the Good Book says.

LIMITATION: I was in surgery for 8 hours and took 9 units of blood, so I ended up a little anemic. I tire pretty fast, but I know I’m getting stronger all the time. I try not to sleep for long periods during the day because if I do I don’t sleep well at night. Today I have been trying to do work-type activities in hopes that I can begin the process of getting back to work sooner than later. However, I know my limitations and I can’t afford to get too tired or in too much pain.

KINDNESS: I have run completely out of sick leave and will deplete all my vacation time pretty fast. I have many co-workers who have offered to give me leave, which will certainly help. Folks from our Bible class at church and the staff at Debbie’s school have been generous to bring food and have offered to provide even more. It is humbling to recognize the fact that people care as much as they do and are willing to help.

I am going to stop here. We still request your thoughts and prayers. And, we still believe in specific prayers. So here is the short list of prayer requests:
1. That our insurance company will work with us in treatment.
2. That when the treatments start that my body will respond to the treatment.
3. That Debbie can keep up with the demands of looking after me, teaching, and going to McAlester when she can to go see her mother who is in the hospital there.
(And if you know me at all you will know this is the craziest prayer request to date!)
4. That I can regain an appetite to substantial foods that can help my body heal. I just don’t feel like eating much, and without the proper nutrients I can’t get my strength back.

Grace & Peace to all… More when I can muster the energy.

-Bob

2 comments:

Lori D said...

Well Robert, It sounds like you need a big ole juicy steak! Now I know that you can eat that & hopefully you'll want to pretty quick. This may sound strange but when I was in the hospital & had lost alot of blood I craved V-8. I guess it was the potassium in it. So that being said, you could have had a V-8!!! I am really glad you are doing so well. Our class has been kept updated so you are being prayed for on both sides of the red river! God has been so good to you & yes Christian family is the best family there is! We Love You & will continue to pray for all of you. Love, Lori

Randal said...

Glad you're still doing better. We know that there is a ways to go so we continue to lift you and your family up in our thoughts and prayers. I like that you list the very specific things to pray for - it makes it so much easier for everyone to be praying the same prayer and we believe that specific prayers are very powerful.

Know that we love you all and are thinking of you frequently...

Much Love,
Randy (and family)