Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thursday Update

Greetings To All:

I'm just going to make this brief. I want to let you know that things are starting to happen. Continue to pray for me in that my body will react to the medication positively, but also, pray for the doctors who are (and will) treat me.

First, I will see Dr. Doug Clark on Monday, 10-13. He is a radiation oncologist. He is the one Dr. Keefer has asked to evaluate me for the radiation on my spine and other tumors. Then, on Tuesday, I'll have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Ben White, my neurosurgeon. I think he'll be pleasantly surprised that I have healed as much as I have, and that I really don't have a great deal of pain. I have spoken to Dr. Keefer on the phone a few times this week and he is still trying to get my insurance company to approve the PET scan that he has requested. He wants me to start the chemo and steroid therapy as soon as possible. But he wants a PET scan before we start.

I plan to ask the surgeon to release me to work partial days for a few weeks and then hopefully go back to work full time on 1-11. I know I'll miss work periodically due to treatments, and etc. But, I just have to go back to work. Part of my desire to go back to work is to get me out of this house! I'm getting more claustrophobic as time goes by. I have to get back around people. It helps pull the focus off of me and I can focus on tasks at hand.

I apologize for the use of the "Random Words" but that seems to be the way my mind operates. Today's Random Word is: ADJUSTMENT

I am having to make lots of adjustments in my life. I've not driven a car in over a month so my independence has been compromised and I have had to adjust to that. I have been a right-side sleeper all my life. Now, with the steel rods in my spine, I am having to adjust to sleeping on my back. I am having to adjust to forcing myself to eat substantial food. I'd do fine with bran flakes, ham and cheese on whole wheat, and Campbell's low sodium soup, but I also know I need real food to help my body heal. Also, I am adjusting to the fact that I don't have the energy I did when I was younger... (ok. I don't even have the energy I did 6 months ago.) I'm having to adjust to the fact that I fatigue really quick.

So, I'm adjusting. I have a pretty good attitude, but I would be lying if I said I didn't have moments when I get sad or upset. When I get the "blues" I try to remind myself to recall the first four lines of a famous prayer... "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." It helps me get through the tough times.

Continue to pray for me and for Debbie. With looking out after me, teaching full time, and concern for her own mother who is in the hospital in McAlester, Debbie's dance card is pretty full.

Thank you in advance for your prayers.

Bob

1 comment:

Holly said...

Hi, kj and daddy. I check in with you all every once in a while. I felt lead today to leave you a comment. My mother in law is currently being treated for breast cancer. Your post today describes exactly all of the things that we have gone through too. I find it so frustrating that it always seems that we have to hurry up and wait. I want you to know that you are not alone.

You may feel like you are stuck in a tornado - just when you get to the top and you are almost out, you get sucked back down. Right smack in the middle. With all of the craziness of life going on around you. God is so cool though! Even in the middle of the storm, HIS grace and peace are enough to sustain you.

He is going before you and ordering your steps in this battle. Cling to Him and every morning let Jesus pour His grace over you.

Praying for healing and grace.
Love, Holly