Thursday, October 23, 2008

Treatments Going Well

On Tuesday I started my radiation treatments. They are painless, except for the position they put me in. I lay on my back on a hard table (that is not quite wide enough) and I put both hands above my head and grasp two little "bicycle handles bars" and hang on. The big machine circles my body and makes little wheezing noises. Then the machine drops below my body and they treat me from below, too... I guess. I don't know what they are doing with me. They could be blowing "fufu dust" on me for all I know.

Next Monday afternoon they will re-measure me which means that they will do a new CT scan on me. I've had pain in my spine, 8th rib (lower right), pelvic, and shoulder. They want to pin-point these areas so they can begin treating them with radiation as well. I do know that Dr. Clark (radiology oncologist) did NOT intend to zap the pelvic, rib, etc. and he planned to let the other treatments address them. But then, I started having pain so he will nuke them for a faster recovery.

If you'll recall, a week or so ago I picked a few random words that were on my heart. Today, I'm going to do the same thing. Today, my word is Blessing.

It would be impossible to account for all the outpouring of concern and love we have received during these last several weeks. People bring food, still send cards, and call on the phone to see what we need. Folks in my office have offered to help me by taking some of my duties to help alleviate any stress I have. I can't begin to say how "blessed" it is to be the recipient of so many blessings.

God continues to look after me. He continues to make things happened for me and I am very grateful. The Chemotherapy medication has been approved, the radiation is going well, I'm not having any major reaction to the steroids (other than they play games with my depression) and the insurance company has already approved me for the stem cell transplants.

Continue to pray for my body to respond to treatments.

Grace & Peace to all

Bob "Robert" Utley

4 comments:

J. Cheney said...

We're still praying for you and Debbie. (And I hope it's more than fufu dust....unlesss fufu dust works really well)

J. ;o)

Jade said...

I also wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers everyday. Olivia and I pray for you at least three times a day: breakfast, lunch and dinner :) We love you and want to see you back to good health in no time. love you all!

Michelle said...

Bob,
Sophie started our prayer last night with you first and foremost. I didn't realize that she saw you last Friday night; she keeps mentioning that you need help walking now...referring to the walker. I just assure her that God is listening to our prayers and you will continue to get better :)
I hope today is a good day for you.
Many Blessings to come,
Michelle

Heather Meredith said...

When I think of the word "blessing" I think of you, Bob. You have been such a blessing to my family. You were a second father to my brothers, Richard and Neal Hill, while they were in college. You were the one that was finally able to bring Richard to Christ, which was such a blessing to our family, especially my parents.
Your strength and faith; your Christian example is such a blessing to us all!
We will be praying for you and your family!

Heather (Hill) Howard & family (Carl-husband, boys: Corbin & Cavan)