Thursday, October 16, 2008

Update from Bob on Wednesday...

Greetings to Friends and Family;

Today has been a good day! I’ve felt pretty good, although I didn’t sleep very well last night. I’ve been in the doctor’s offices every day this week and tomorrow will be a one day reprieve and I’ll be back at the hospital on Friday for another test.

On Monday 10-13 I saw Dr. Doug Clark. He is the radiology oncologist. He had them prep me for my first radiation treatments. I’ll have my first treatment on Tuesday afternoon (10-21-08) at 3:45 PM. Then, I’ll have one every day for about a month. I think I’ll just consume my food raw, and then let the radiation cook it and me at the same time. J

Yesterday, Tuesday 10-14 I had my follow up appointment with my neuro-surgeon, Dr. Ben White. He was very excited to see me getting around as well as I was. He really did believe that I would most likely be paralyzed from the tumor pressing against my spinal cord and from the surgical procedure. Even though I walk with a walker, he is delighted that I can get around as well as I can. I really don’t believe I understood how concerned he was. Debbie tells me that she and Karyn understood the gravity of my situation, but I didn’t.

Today, I just went and got a flu shot. Rumor has it that I will be a two flu-shot per year person from now on. The Chemotherapy and radiation will compromise my immune system, and being a diabetic, I will have to stay on top of the flu vaccines.

Tomorrow, Thursday 10-16, Debbie and I will drive down to McAlester to see our parents. Debbie is off for fall break and I asked my doctor if I could accompany her and he agreed that I could go. I’m excited to get to go.

Friday, 10-17 I’ll have a PET scan. I understand it is a more exact scan and will help them know exactly where I will get my radiation treatments and chemo treatments.

I want to thank you again for praying for us. God is taking good care of me and Debbie… but we certainly need your encouragement and prayers.

Grace & Peace to all!

Bob Utley

1 comment:

George H said...

Hi Little Brother & Deb,
I'm so glad you get to go to McAlester. Mom & Dad will love getting to see you and Debs folks will be happy to see her as well.

I've always known you were a fighter and I pray God gives you all the tools you need to win this battle.
All my Love, George