Saturday, October 11, 2008

One Month Later

Dear Friends and Family,

Today is Saturday, October 11, 2008. The surgery to remove the affected vertebra in my back happened 1 month ago today. And today I took my first round of steroid medications to combat the cancer in my body. The chemotherapy medication is on order and should be here this week and I will start it as soon as it arrives. I am happy that we are doing things to fight the disease, instead of just waiting for things to happen.

I’ve been able to get out and around some. I drove myself to the doctor’s office on Thursday and to get a hair cut on Friday. Also, last night I drove to church to attend our Celebrate Recovery program. Driving is a little daunting because it has been over a month since I have driven at all. But, I did just fine. I’m very cautious and I stay on “all point lookout” the entire time I’m behind the wheel. And, for those who might wonder, no… I don’t use the cell phone while driving.

I mentioned being at Celebrate Recovery last night. This is the program that has helped me with my chronic depression. Since it has been a month since I was able to go, I just had to attend. It was wonderful getting to see friends and recovery siblings. My random word for today is a word that was used last night. The word is “Grace”.

I cannot even write for the tears streaming my face. God’s grace has been lavished on us beyond description. We’ve seen his miracles over and over, and we have enjoyed his grace like never before. There is no way I can list them all, but here are just a few of God’s gifts of grace that we have received.

1. Dr. White (the neurosurgeon) typically does not see patients on Friday, but the week I needed to see him (back in early September), he had some open time on that Friday, and I just happened to be the one who got to see him. GRACE!
2. I learned yesterday that my chemotherapy medication is covered by my insurance. A 4-month supply of my chemo medication would equal the cost of a brand new Buick. My co-pay is $45 for each of those 4 months. GRACE!
3. I have had some pain associated with the surgery, but nothing like the pain I endured before the surgery. GRACE!
4. Debbie’s mother has been able to maintain her strength… and actually improve some. We believe God knows I need Debbie here with me. GRACE!
5. Although I have had some sad moments, and there are times my depression chews on me, I’ve been able to keep a fairly good energy and spirit. GRACE!
6. My cancer is treatable and the prognosis is very good at this point. GRACE!

I continue to count the gifts of God’s grace because I need to know – I need to see, feel, and hear how God is helping me and how he is reaching out to me every day.

Grace – It is free to all, no one deserves it, but everyone receives it. Even in the very darkest of storms, God’s grace is there. I am encouraging you… and you encourage me to remember that all we have to do is reach out and take it.
–Bob Utley

2 comments:

Paul said...

Bobby - thanks for your great testimony.

love, Paul

Kristin Neill said...

You are such a great example of a man of God. Your love and devotion is inspiring. We love you and miss you!!! And of course we are praying for you.

Love,
Russell, Kristin (and our two kids Jacob and Natalee) Neill.