Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Specific Prayers Requested!

As most of you know my dad, Bob Utley, has been battling severe back pain for about 6 weeks now. He had started having numbness in his legs and had fallen a few times, and had been using a walker in recent weeks to help hold his balance. Dr. Jeff Floyd has been wonderful, and worked with him diligently to get answers to the problem. Today we got some answers, and now we need your prayers!

After a brain scan, an MRI, and a CAT scan, tumors were found on dad's spine. There was also a mass, and small spot found in one of his lungs. The neurosurgeon has not been able to consult with the radiologist, BUT he feels that those are the only spots at this time. It is imperative that the tumors be removed off his spine because they are damaging the nerves, which can result in paralysis. If the radiologist agrees with the neurosurgeon, they will proceed with surgery Thursday 9/11 at 2:00. The surgery is extensive, and they will have to replace part of the spine with some metal plates in order to remove the tumors.

If all goes well and they do find that there are cancerous cells they will proceed with Chemo or radiation in the coming weeks. Again, IF it's cancer! That is where you all come in, our family is asking for the following prayers:

Pray specifically that all spots & tumors found are localized and they can be reached easily and in full.
Pray that future treatments will remove anything remotely pertaining to cancer.
Pray that Bob will not lose any feeling or movement in his legs or body.
Pray for strength for my mother, Debbie.
Pray for strength for my dad. Let him be a light to all that he encounters.

My mom and dad are the strongest people I know. They encourage others, they love others, they are His, and it shows! About one hour after dad got "the news" he was talking to Kevin, the nurse watching over him tonight at Mercy. He said "Kevin, where do you and your wife go to church?" Kevin's reply was "We don't go right now." Without missing a beat he said "Memorial Road is where you need to be, they've got an incredible children's ministry and the connection of people your age is amazing. You need to be there!" After the day he has had, and getting what I consider shocking news, he is looking at how he can bring others to Christ. What an inspiration!

God is good. He loves. He protects. He hears. He heals.

16 comments:

Mandy said...

Karyn,
We are praying and we love you. I'll check in with you tomorrow.

Lesley said...

We are praying for all of you!!! Love ya!

The Lj's said...

I am praying for your dad, mom, you and the rest of your family as you go through this. It sounds like God is already being glorified in this trying time!

DeeDee said...

Awe Karyn, I will be thinking and praying about your entire family during all this.

Mary said...

Lifting you Dad and family in prayer.

Mary Jackson, CIA Class

Sarah said...

Your whole family is in our hearts and prayers continuously.

As you have said many times, God is good. He will give you what you need to get through this. Lean on Him and let us help in anyway we can.

Kyle said...

Jenn and I will be praying for Bob and your family.

Kelley said...

I consider Bob like my father, I love him very much and Jade and I both will be praying hard for a speedy recovery. We'll also continue to pray for Debbie's mom.

Unknown said...

I have worked with Bob for almost 12 years and consider him a friend. He's dedicated, hardworking, and a joy to be around. I'm praying for Bob, my family is praying for Bob, and my church is praying for him, too. I know God's glory will be manifest through these difficult times because His servant Bob is a man of faith and strength.

Alyssa said...

Karyn,
We have been and will continue to pray for all your specific prayer requests. We love you!

Brooke said...

We love you and are praying for all of you!!!

Heather said...

Thanks for all of the updates...we are continuing to pray for your dad and his doctors, and your family as you all go through this! I am here for anything you need--just let me know.

Tamika said...

you are in our prayers, God is good, and He can do all things. We will aske for Him to work mightily and bring about a successful and safe surgery for your dad today!

Mark said...

Hey Bob, your in our prayers. Stay strong.

Tim said...

Bob,
You are an inspiration! Our prayers are with you and your family.

Tim

Kim said...

Karyn, Thanks so much for the updates.
Bob, I knew I should have started harping on you about the hand lotion a lot sooner. (Ha) It's great to hear that you are kicking your legs. By the grace of God, you will get through this. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.